42 Squadron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of the No.42_Squadron WW I Flight SIM, 'Rise of Flight'

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
*** The No.42_Squadron's Aerodrome ***
Fly with us! Squad nights: Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - 8pm EDT
FiF XXI is in 3rd week. Fly tonight at 8:45pm EST.

Question for Hawg

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 11:47 am

Hawg- I am looking to setup and instrument panel on a separate monitor using the second output of my video card. I know you do this and would like to know your software recommendation. Thanks man!
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 pm

For what Sim? ROF? If so the answer is you can't or at least I haven't figured out a way to do it.

For FSX, DCS and IL2 its very do-able just let me know what your looking at and I can instruct you sir.
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Not for RoF... for FSX, X-Plane?, DCS, and IL2. I have a monitor... spare port on my nVidia 580GTX Black Ops.... just need to figure out software.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Ahh well each has its own way of doing it.

IL-2 is pretty simple, you just have to add a few lines in your confg.ini, and I can get you a set of guages that work pretty well. Actually if you look on the AG51 forum you might be able to find a post with a link i put up a while back.

FSX you need to run WideView and FSUIPC and then get a set of gauges. Sim HQ just ran an article on a pretty cool set.

IL2 and FSX you can run the gauges from a seperate PC which is what I do otherwise you will need to run the game in windowed mode.

DCS gauges I will have to get back to you on because I actually did a hybrid configuration which was to run the engine gauges on a separate PC and the MFD CRT display on the game PC. It turned out awesome.
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Actually I was doing a search at lunch and found this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Don't have to use wideview just need FSUIPC with I have. I also have a spare laptop that I could use to run the gauges as well. I also found this to use with an iPad on FSX:

Have you tried any of the Saitek Pro Instrument Modules? Only deal with them is $800+ for a set of 6 Surprised 
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Another question for you... what kind of monitor is that you have for your cockpit?

And while we are at it... you have a good source for switches, rotaries, toggles, etc?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Its a Vizio 50 inch TV

I use a gamma ray 256 which they dont make any more.

However there is a guy in England, Leo Bodner I think, that makes some good controls.

I would check him out and see if there is anything that meets your needs.
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks Hawg. Looks like old Leo has just what I need. He also has a board similar to the Gamma. 32 discreets and 8 analog. This will allow me to add rudder and aileron trim axis! Plus a few other buttons for various functions like Fire Extinguishers, Prop Feather, etc.

I think I am going to stick with the TH2G monitor system for now but would like to get some of the so-called 'frameless' monitors. Though I am really considering just using a big screen like you are.
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 5:46 pm

How do you connect your TV- HDMI? Which model of the Vizio is it- E series?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Yep HDMI and Yep E-Series. Awesome tv for the price and super sharp as a monitor.
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 9:26 am

Well I am trying to make a decision here about my future graphics for my simulator. I am trying to decide whether to keep with my 3 monitor setup using the TH2G or go with one large monitor. By large I mean like this one:

One of the questions I have for you experts is will the 240hz refresh rate get me anything or is a 120hz going to be my best bet. I won't have as wide a field of view but I will have a much larger screen area. I will use a second monitors for an instrument panel regardless. If I do go with the TH2G then I will want to go to larger monitors. What do you think?

Has anyone tried RoF using 3D? Good or bad?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Well here was my logic. The THTG was pretty cool but it was much simpler and less expensive to go with a single large monitor plus you never have to worry about application support and everything else that revolves about implementing THTG. Which at this point you're are familiar with.

Now using a single large monitor in the form of a TV isn't without its trade offs. The first hurdle you come across it placement. The bigger the TV, the farther away from you it needs to be. My 50" is about all my computer room will support.

If you read up on it, Refresh rates over 60hz on TVs are mostly a marketing thing since the incoming signal is 60hz so you really never get more than 60hz, the TV interleaves copies of the image to give it a smoothing effect and I am not really sure if it has any effect when it comes to computers.

I have tried several TVs as monitors 60,120, and 240 HZ and the best one so far was the 120. What you really want to look at is Grey to Grey refresh times or better yet Black to White refresh times.

The Vizio had the sharpest image and its refresh rates are good enough to play my games. Now that's for the 50" I haven't tried the 65" and sometimes there are differences in performance.

Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Unless you have a ton of cash burning a hole in your pocket I would get this one.

and then you can put it closer with the same effect, there is now way you will be able to get closer than 3 feet with a 65" screen and be able to see the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks for the info... much cheaper...!!
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Also as far as the three monitor support I have only two sims that have an issue. One is IL2 but the new patch 4.12 now supports it. The other is a soaring sim that I use. However having said all of that my eyes aren't what thy used to be and I sure could use a bigger screen! RoF, FSX, X-plane, DCS and others work with TH2G and look good doing it... it is nice especially for formation flying to have the "peripheral" vision that the 3 monitors offer... I am going to go with the Big Screen TV though so I may have a Th2G and 3 monitors for sale... cheap!
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Get 3 50" TVs :)
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 5:30 pm

No.42_Hawg wrote:
Get 3 50" TVs :)
In my best Yoda voice:

Mmmmmm.... cool it would be
Divorced I would get...
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 11:11 am

You have to be willing to make sacrifices.
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Hawg- what is your viewing distance to your TV and what resolution are you running?

Also which video card are you using and what type of output?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey Glider I was on the road last week and I didn't see this till just now I am using a Nvidia 660 or 670 GTX and I am running HD so 1920 x 1080, Using HDMI ports and I sit back about 4 - 5 feet. There is a picture in the 2013 Tail Hook section on AG51 web page. And I think I may have on posted somewhere here as well.
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks Hawg... one more question... I am assuomiong at HD resolution you are seeing ship and plane dots ok?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 6:25 am

I am guessing your talking IL-2? In IL-2 I can see everything fine but when I am flying for cash and prizes in IL-2 I still switch to 1024x768. Which has nothing to do with the monitor its the program that causes that.

In ROF I can spot targets miles away.
Back to top Go down
Glider

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Yes I was talking IL2. In ROF I have no issues with spotting the targets. There are only two flight programs that are giving me any kind of grief for the TripleHead... IL2 and a soaring simulator I use called "Condor". SilentHunter 4 will not do the resolution either but I do not do that as much anymore. So far 4.12 seems to be working OK in IL2 though.

I am 95% convinced to go to a single big screen. I am going to try it out with our 42" hdtv and see how it works out... if everything is as anticipated then I will be getting the Vizio 50".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Question for Hawg Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Hawg   Question for Hawg Empty

Back to top Go down

Question for Hawg
Page 1 of 1