42 Squadron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of the No.42_Squadron WW I Flight SIM, 'Rise of Flight'

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
*** The No.42_Squadron's Aerodrome ***
Fly with us! Squad nights: Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - 8pm EDT
FiF XXI is in 3rd week. Fly tonight at 8:45pm EST.

Possible Dogfight?

Go down 
+8
No.42_Hawg
semiauto
NavyJake
JG1_Butzzell
No.42_Rooster
No.42_Flatspin
JG1_Klaiber
No.42_Duff4r
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 pm

JG1_Butzzell wrote:
Rectumfry?

uhmmm, you mean get him fixed? Let me get a veterinarian. Where did that squirel go?

JG1_Butzzell wrote:
...and no cashews.

OK, this guy is too big a problem to keep around!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm

lol

your cousin? Rambo squirel?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 6:07 pm

FWIW,

The hiccup certainly threw the poop in the soup.

We in Blue flight were unsure if there were enemy bombers about or if all had been lost during the hiccup. We may need to issue a communique.....on the other hand, that was the war, uncertainty, boredom and terror.

Tap or Double Tap Squirrel?

LOL!
Duff
Back to top Go down
https://42sqn.forumotion.com
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 6:27 pm

The Squirrel now has

No more looking around with the mouse.
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 7:20 pm

S!

Big congratz!!

Track IR is awesome. changes the entire experience.

enjoy!!
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 7:26 pm

WEwT!

Now ve must fear da moose and vlying sqvirrel

Back to top Go down
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Some pointers..

It's a good idea to have there 'Center' button and the On/Off assigned to your JS. Understand the Centering button is typically assigned to F10 which conflicts with the 'Save View' button in ROF. Understand that you can still have 'views' assigned to your hat switch that unlike IL-2 can be used in conjunction with TIR.

Don't be afraid to use the on/off as vertigo can be a problem. Take the time to develop a solid profile to make it work like you want it to. It takes a bit so ask here.
Hang in there...learning curves ahead!
Duff
Back to top Go down
https://42sqn.forumotion.com
No.42_Rooster

No.42_Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 3:13 am

Cool SS.. you will not want to fly without it for sure. Mad
Back to top Go down
No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 7:45 am

Good news Shnoze!

Yeah, I think we would just throw it out and replay another day (following week most likely and at latest).

Messages were fun, though unnecessary IMO with comms. However, it was good to know when we got the recon as you can't count destroyed objects or a sunk ship to confirm.

This is an example of two-phase play yes? So, ideally, after identification of enemy HQ, the following week would include a strike mission on said base?

I hope interest is not waning for these Wednesday nights, our guys seem well pleased and challenged to fly them; in fact, our training has morphed to deal with lessons learned from these engagements.
Back to top Go down
NavyJake

NavyJake

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 7:55 am

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am

S!

Actually this is single phase.

The recon is inteligence gathering but the target is counted as destroyed by units deployed between sessions.

Basically we have the same tasks to perform each session: 2 bombing missions (ship and bridge), 1 recon, 1 arty spot and 2 targets of oportunity (train and convoy). The variety of missions keeps it from becoming a bomber fest.

On maps where rivers are scarce, the ship is changed to a factory. Standard simple factory that can be killed with one load of bombs.
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 pm

S!

Bug fixes

Items fixed.

South German arty spot not giving complete message: Found Error in start up delete logic. South complete message was being deleted instead of north message. Fixed logic and checked Allied as well.

North Allied arty spot was displaying the end of game tally message when arty spot was complete instead of in proper place at end of session. This was giving intel to the enemy and not displaying at end of session: Found the end of session display counter was set to the wrong value. Reset value and checked all end of session counters as well as arty links.

Bailelieu train listed as destroyed with no one claiming credit: Railroad Tycoon may have had train timing wrong and it hit a truck crossing the road. Unlikely but posible. Railroad timing changed.

Recon flight trigering end of Session Tally subtitle: Found that sitting on field for extended period of time after completion will re trigger complex trigger causing a repeat of 'Photos sent to HQ" subtitle and overloading end of session counter. Added an insulating counter between complex triger and end of session counter. Pathway can only be used once now.

Planes are available but pilot is unable to select: This was investigated after the session with no real cause or reason discovered. Continueing to investigate weather it is a replane delay in the config file or some other intrinsic game function.

S!

Last edited by JG1_Butzzell on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:05 pm

S!

Some people expressed interest in knowing where ALL the targets are placed.

I made composit maps for both A and B missions at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
NavyJake

NavyJake

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 pm

S!

The map link only show one set up maps, I think it is A mission.

S!
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 pm

S!

A mission is on top B mission on bottom. I see both. Humm, 2 maps. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
NavyJake

NavyJake

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 pm

I refreshed and all is well!! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
No.42_Space

No.42_Space

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 pm

3/13/13

Strange thing tonight- I did the recon of the german HQ, got the message, but turned my plane over when I landed. No message, but I was not dead.

Replaned to refly the mission, found the HQ again, but went over 5 times and could not get the message again.
Back to top Go down
NavyJake

NavyJake

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 6:59 am

Space,

Flatspin brought that up in the debrief, I think the question was, did you land back at the field on the second mission?

S!
Back to top Go down
JG1_Klaiber

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 7:39 am

Hi Guys,

It's also possible that you may not have tripped it the second time. We had the exact same problems on our side, and had to overfly it multiple times with other people guiding the recon pilot in (even though we all knew where it was supposed to be).

Butzzell's going to check it out, just to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the mission. But more than likely, some parameter in your second attempt wasn't being fulfilled - (i.e. correct alt, correct position, safe landing, etc.). Like I said, we didn't get it either due to similar circumstances.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Space

No.42_Space

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:39 am

I was directly over the target several times, at the correct altitude. I overflew it 6 times (directly over, in the bombsight) and did not get any message, so continued looking for the convoy for the rest of the mission in the hun backfield.
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:23 pm

S!

I checked all the links agin. Each recon check zone activates a unique landing zone. They are all lined up. Recon 1 check zone activates recon 1 landing zone etc.

The problem lies in the check zone design. It is set to stationary and alive. This is to check that A. you are alive and B. that you have landed. Unfortunately if you ding anything on landing it does not register as stationary and alive. I did the same thing. I landed and screwed the pooch. I was still alive and stationary but no complete.

Is this requirement too picky? The only other viable check is "On Object finished" You can only finish when landed or crashed. It means the plane is on the ground somewhere in friendly teritory. You do not have to be alive. We pulled the pictures out of the plane and wiped your blood off the case. Then again, is that to lenient? You find an enemy recon going home over his teritory and you shoot him down but his mission still counts?

This is a picture of the mission logic for recons. It only shows the Recon check zones for 1 target. There are 4 targets. So the top set of 4 check zones is just for this target. There are 3 other sets tied in but not shown.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
NavyJake

NavyJake

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 pm

S!

Good stuff!

I would really like to attend a class with you as mission design instructor!!!

Give it a thought when this is all over and Bloody April is behind us also.

Quote :
You can only finish when landed or crashed. It means the plane is on the ground somewhere in friendly teritory. You do not have to be alive. We pulled the pictures out of the plane and wiped your blood off the case. Then again, is that to lenient? You find an enemy recon going home over his teritory and you shoot him down but his mission still counts?

Operation Market Garden (Field Marshal Montgomery's folly, or a Bridge To Far), had the plans for the operation fall into Generalfeldmarschall Walter Model hands when a glider carrying the plans crashed and were discovered by the Germans. From Wikipedia (During the operation, the Germans recovered a copy of the Market-Garden plan from the corpse of an American officer who should not have been carrying it into combat). Model didn’t believe them, but that is another sorry.

So I would say yes to your question.

My thoughts.

S!
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 3:33 pm

S!

If you follow that through, then wy bother with landing or crashing? The check Zone can be set to object entered in which case the recon observer drops the pictures in a canister to front line troops?

btw, I firmly feel that if Market Garden had been executed as designed by Field Marshal Montgomery, it had an excellent chance of success and could have finished the war early, saving thousands of lives.

Working on my extra long sentance writing skills.
Back to top Go down
NavyJake

NavyJake

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 3:50 pm

S!

Quote :
btw, I firmly feel that if Market Garden had been executed as designed by Field Marshal Montgomery, it had an excellent chance of success and could have finished the war early, saving thousands of lives.

You maybe correct, I have attempted that battle in other forms and it is tough given the resources of the II SS Panzer Corps even in it's depleted state. Discussion for another time.

Quote :
If you follow that through, then wy bother with landing or crashing? The check Zone can be set to object entered in which case the recon observer drops the pictures in a canister to front line troops?

Heck of an idea, didn't they have to develop the plates first, but I'll let you and Flatspin work out the details. I'll shut up now! Big Grin
Back to top Go down
No.42_Space

No.42_Space

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 3:53 pm

So by that logic, I should have gotten the Recon Performed message again by tripping check zone 3 when I flew over in the Recon 3 plane? I did, 6 times, and it didn't.

I think it's pretty weak to be able to shoot someones arse down and still have them get the mission complete, but no less weak not to be able to take another of the 4 recon planes and get the mission if one goes down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible Dogfight?
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
42 Squadron :: General Discussion-
Jump to: