42 Squadron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of the No.42_Squadron WW I Flight SIM, 'Rise of Flight'

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
*** The No.42_Squadron's Aerodrome ***
Fly with us! Squad nights: Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - 8pm EDT
FiF XXI is in 3rd week. Fly tonight at 8:45pm EST.

USE the In-Game Response Curves!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

USE the In-Game Response Curves! Empty
PostSubject: USE the In-Game Response Curves!   USE the In-Game Response Curves! EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 10:24 am

This post may seem to be inflammatory. It is not! What I write here is for information only! There will be NO discussion over the 'right' & 'wrong' of using the response curves. ANY post that approaches that will be deleted, ASAP! The only discussion will be on how to adjust the curves.

Background - Do you really think that the planes of the day were not 'tweaked' (setup) so they would fly right? If you do you would be wrong, they were! They were also setup for a specific the pilots likes and dislikes. Most had access areas to the control cables with cable tensioners that could be tightened or loosened. The canvas could be stretched or relaxed and weight could be added where needed to adjust the flight characteristics. Many efforts were made to tame 'ground-looping tendencies. Our joysticks and controllers provide an electronic input (Fly-by-Wire) not the cabling setup of the day. Many things can cause a variation of the electronic output from the controllers to the input of the game. Just ask any model plane guy what he does with coins/lead for weight and balance and how they adjust a wing deformity by tensioning the monokote.

Response Curves in the Game -  There are MANY different joysticks which provide an ELECTRONIC input via a USB port to many types of Motherboards and processors. (Fly-by-Wire). Safe to say I'll bet no two of us have exactly the same anything! I use CH Pro equipment, Fighter Stick, Throttle and Pedals. Left to the default my CH pedals are backwards in the game. Left to default my Throttle (Yes, Calibrated) only goes to 96% in-game. Left at stock ALL of the planes bank left by at least 20 degrees and the nose floats up at 20-25%. If left stock I would NOT BE FLYING this Sim as I would have my stick half-over to the right and more than 3/4's forward-down to hold the plane steady.

If you want to 'Wrestle a Pig' fine, be my guest but....I highly suggest that your adjust your throttle so that 100% throttle on you controller equals 100% throttle in the game. If not it is difficult to fly and stay in formation. Read the instruction manual or ASK for HELP!

Hope this helps new and old pilots alike!

Duff on Stuff!
Back to top Go down
https://42sqn.forumotion.com
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

PostSubject: Re: USE the In-Game Response Curves!   USE the In-Game Response Curves! EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 11:23 am

Yeah I would agree.  To be honest I am not sure why 777 made the center point of the stick so far out of pitch trim on most aircraft.  I guess I have never flown or even talked to anyone that flew WW1 aircraft but like you said, they had to adjust these things to be as close to neutral as possible while at cruising speeds.

If you have ever flown a DR1 and looked behind you, you can see your elevator canted down about 20 degrees  just to keep the plane flying in a straight line.  I have watched videos of DR1 replicas flying and even old WWI footage and I have never seen the elevator in that position while flying straight and level.  Not to mention flying with the elevator like that would have to create a TON of stress and drag on the AC.
Back to top Go down
Glider

PostSubject: Re: USE the In-Game Response Curves!   USE the In-Game Response Curves! EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:27 pm

I know that Hawg has some tweeks that he uses... share them?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

PostSubject: Re: USE the In-Game Response Curves!   USE the In-Game Response Curves! EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Yeah Hawg, I am so fortunate to have a friend in IL-2 that was a Marine in WWII. He flew the Wildcat, Hellcat and Corsair. He talks of 'taming' all of his planes and then....when up and level they, the pilots, held the 'sticks' between their legs so as not to become 'arm weary' prior to combat. He said they were still a F'in handful when tweaked :)

As an example, Hawg you were saying that the Tripe, or was it the Pup is a bear to hold on the horizon in a left hand turn? See I don't really remember what you said cuz I simply do not have that problem in either plane. I do know it's easier one way then the other because of fighting the rotation of the prop.

Here's the way I set up all my planes:

1. Insure that 100% input from my throttle = 100% output to the game.

2. Set my ailerons to insure my wings are level.

3. Rough setup on the pitch so I am not ballooning all over Gods creation.

4. Rudder, I set this with a bit of dead-band around the center so I'm not 'on them' all the time when setting up a firing solution. From the dead-band around center, I go with a gradual increase of pedal vs rudder deflection.

5. Tweak all settings so that at 50% fuel it flies almost hands free. 2-seaters 50% and standard bomb load. Once Bombs-Away I can wrestle the pig back home.

Hawg, you made a good point! How come flyer X is always faster than Flyer Y? If my plane is trimmed and your's isn't, you have rudder and elevator surfaces fighting the air...who's gonna be faster? Duh!

Again, if you think this is arm twisting...it ain't!! If you think it's information and training...it is!!

Lemme know if I can help!

Duff

Enough interest and Hawg or I or both with hold a Monday night training event.

Last edited by No.42_Duff4r on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

PostSubject: Re: USE the In-Game Response Curves!   USE the In-Game Response Curves! EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Hey Duff

To clarify its not that its hard to hold a steady turn its just that if you try to pull through a nose high left turn it could stall on ya if your not careful. The Tripe will drop a wing in a hard turn with out a whisper of your impending doom if you really pull on the elevator.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

PostSubject: Re: USE the In-Game Response Curves!   USE the In-Game Response Curves! EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 3:52 pm

Ok, Copy that, Hawg..thanks for the clarification!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: USE the In-Game Response Curves!   USE the In-Game Response Curves! Empty

Back to top Go down

USE the In-Game Response Curves!
Page 1 of 1