42 Squadron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of the No.42_Squadron WW I Flight SIM, 'Rise of Flight'

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
*** The No.42_Squadron's Aerodrome ***
Fly with us! Squad nights: Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - 8pm EDT
FiF XXI is in 3rd week. Fly tonight at 8:45pm EST.

What to practice this week?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WWGeezer

What to practice this week? Empty
PostSubject: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Pruned: 7/22/13 - SS

Is next Wed the Finale or am I off by a week?

Should we be practicing straffing of ground objects or will there be different objectives?

We have our normal squad fly on Tuesday night and might set up a mission to practice ground straffing and bombing of objects

Do you guys still have the finale mission from last tourny that we could use to practice?

PS Sorry I missed flying Wed.  Sounds like things went well.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Space

No.42_Space

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Off by a week Geez. 1 more like last night, then we fight for Cambrai!
Back to top Go down
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 9:00 pm

S! Geezer

We have one more week before the finale. Next week were expecting to have the clouds back and be flying map B.

In preparation for the finale NavyJake said you could help with setting up practice maps for it since he is gone all week. Basically we will be defending tanks and destroying artillery guns. To prepare it would be nice to have some tanks crossing the mud added to the A & B maps we are using for practice. They need to zigzag randomly. Maybe 1 pair per grid or something. Also, adding some axillary on the Hun side. They can be back in the green as far as the other artillery. In the finale there may be groups of 4 and sometimes they are close to a line of trees. So 2 or 4 gun batteries as you see fit.

The main thing though is the tanks. We need to practice finding them so we can protect them.
Back to top Go down
WWGeezer

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Happy to make a practice mission....I will reread the thread on the finale to make sure I understand it......

So help me with a little detail from previous finale
A pair of tanks in each grid, zig zagging across the front?
A pair to attack, a pair to defend, so two in each direction.
When they get across the front do they stop? If they get across do points get scored by the enemy or is it how many units survive?
The front has approximately 5 grids, do they role all at once?
Also what is the usual strategy, two flights trying to destroy, two flights trying to defend.

I have done other training missions and a variety of conditions help, from easy to hard. I could take one grid and have a regular line of tanks that respawn regularly and even shoot flares so the practice is really about target practice and accuracy, not finding the tanks

Could take another zone where the tanks spawn randomly and the exercise is really about hunting and finding.

And a third zone could be just about defense where AI planes attack ground targets

Let me know what you think and I will start building something
Back to top Go down
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 9:42 pm

WWGeezer wrote:

A pair of tanks in each grid, zig zagging across the front?

Well it's actually groups of 4, but for practice I was thinking groups of two would do.

WWGeezer wrote:

A pair to attack, a pair to defend, so two in each direction.

Only Entente have tanks. Central has artillery.

WWGeezer wrote:

When they get across the front do they stop? If they get across do points get scored by the enemy or is it how many units survive?

Yes they stop a short distance inside the green. The game is decided by the number of surviving tanks. Central artillery will kill some of tanks if we do not destroy those guns.

WWGeezer wrote:

The front has approximately 5 grids, do they role all at once?

For the purposes of a practice server you can stagger when they roll. In the finale they will all start when the game does and will be grouped into a smaller area.

WWGeezer wrote:

Also what is the usual strategy, two flights trying to destroy, two flights trying to defend.

Last time we pulverized their guns and didn't find the tanks until they were across the mud. Enough survived to give us a marginal victory. We need to learn to find the tanks, and kill artillery guns.

WWGeezer wrote:

I have done other training missions and a variety of conditions help, from easy to hard. I could take one grid and have a regular line of tanks that respawn regularly and even shoot flares so the practice is really about target practice and accuracy, not finding the tanks

We don't want flares. We protect tanks.

I'm asking you to take FIF missions one and two (which are what No.42 server is currently running) and add Entente tanks crossing the mud and some more Central artillery positions.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
No.42_Space

No.42_Space

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 10:23 pm

I would just concentrate on putting up guns for targets- that is what we need to find and kill. A direct hit with a 20 will do it, but they are in Our fighters need to kill planes, by the dozen if not hundreds. Mad
Back to top Go down
WWGeezer

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Copy that Schnoze....I have a better picture of what you are looking for.

I will add artillary to the mission map that lets you know when its destroyed and than respawns so there is plenty to practice on. I can add some friendly tanks as well for folks that want to get used to finding them. My guess is the AAA exposes itself when they shoot at the tanks.

regarding artillary, ..do they typically mark them by having objects near by so you have a chance of seeing them, like tents or bunkers or just set them down raw?
Back to top Go down
WWGeezer

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 pm

Sorry for obsessing, but mission building does that to you....how about this

use the mission map as the base

create sets of two tanks and two artillary cannons
have the tanks head across the front towards the cannons
if two cannons get destroyed you get a message, a brief time out and they respawn
if two tanks get destroyed you get a message, a brief time out and they respawn

this is a group that could be placed at multiple places on the maps, so basically you have ongoing tank vs guns battles going on all over the map, plenty of targets to defend or destroy

Would you prefer I strip off the other typical mission objectives ( like arty spotting, trenchmapping ) or do you want the rest of the mission objectives in play too. My first reaction is to strip them off.
Fine either way, just let me know.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Space

No.42_Space

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 am

The guns are in a protective berm that makes rear attacks much more challenging.
As to the others, either way is fine. They won't be active in the finale so it really doesn't matter. Left in they would still be valid practice targets until next week's match.
Back to top Go down
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 1:51 am

WWGeezer wrote:

Would you prefer I strip off the other typical mission objectives ( like arty spotting, trenchmapping ) or do you want the rest of the mission objectives in play too. My first reaction is to strip them off.
Fine either way, just let me know.

No, leave them in. If someone wants to run those missions than I want them to. We still have one more game with them.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 4:57 am

IIRC the arty were placed behind revetments and had tents nearby.
Back to top Go down
WWGeezer

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 7:54 am

Take a look and let me know what you think

two canon placements with a few tents

when the tanks and guns get in range of each other they bomb the crap out of each other, once both objects are destoyed they respawn a new set, so tanks and guns constantly replenished
right now they destroy each other rather quickly even with low ai

can make adjustments depending on what your goals are....might make sense to have them only attack each other when they get close

my intent would be to set one pair in each quadrant so there would be five sets of two for the whole map

What to practice this week? Pic1S

What to practice this week? Pic2S
Back to top Go down
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 1:14 pm

They need to be crossing the mud. That's the whole difficulty of finding the tanks, is when they are in the mud. One set per grid. I think if you place the Central artillery about an aerodrome length behind their back trench line, and start the tanks the same distance behind ours, they will take longer to kill. And that will be similar to what is going on in the finale.
Back to top Go down
WWGeezer

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 1:24 pm

sounds right...I think I will try to have them hold fire until the tanks and canons are well withing range of each other, so at the beginning its about hunting and finding the targets.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to practice this week?   What to practice this week? Empty

Back to top Go down

What to practice this week?
Page 1 of 1