42 Squadron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of the No.42_Squadron WW I Flight SIM, 'Rise of Flight'

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
*** The No.42_Squadron's Aerodrome ***
Fly with us! Squad nights: Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - 8pm EDT
FiF XXI is in 3rd week. Fly tonight at 8:45pm EST.

DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!

Go down 
+2
No.42_Rooster
No.42_Duff4r
6 posters
AuthorMessage
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! Empty
PostSubject: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Salute Gents. The ROF Server has been attacked. It is still up and on just not accessible by the MOST normal route.

What we are about to do is good for you machine and for all Internet things, not just ROF. It is copied from =AH=Sid and posted on ROF main site.

1.) Control Panel
2.) Get to 'Network and or 'Network and Sharing Center' (depends on your windows version)
3.) Click on 'Change Adapter Settings' then 'Local Area Connection' or just Local Area Connection' if you see that first.
4.) Select 'Properties'
5.) Select and Click on: 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) - It's normally the 5th one down!
6.) In the new screen once again Select 'Properties'

NOW DO WHAT YOU SEE IN THE PICTURE BELOW!

DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! File

You WILL have to reboot your modem and router....

You can leave it like this for overall better performance online in everything or return it to the 'lamer' settings your IP provider uses.

Good Luck!

XO

Last edited by No.42_Duff4r on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://42sqn.forumotion.com
No.42_Rooster

No.42_Rooster

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Sorry XO... no see picture
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Yeah this is the problem I had last week and I had to switch DNS servers.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 2:03 pm

What does this do?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 2:08 pm

DNS is what translates names like Google.com and facebook.com to IP addresses your applications can use to send data to where it needs to go.

At some point the ip address records for the ROF Master Server were redirected or removed.

By changing your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (googles DNS server) you will ensure that the name used by the master server resolves to the correct IP.

If you knew what the name was it was trying to hit you could actually hard code it in a text file on your PC :)

I don't know why google's DNS works while others dont...........
Back to top Go down
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 3:01 pm

S!

Ok this was posted as a temporary work around, which is no longer needed right now. Now your telling me this will improve my internet connection. How?

Still smarting from the FlightFX fiasco here so I'm hesitant to just jump because something is supposed to be better.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 pm

No.42_Shnoze_Shmon wrote:
S!

Ok this was posted as a temporary work around, which is no longer needed right now. Now your telling me this will improve my internet connection. How?

Still smarting from the FlightFX fiasco here so I'm hesitant to just jump because something is supposed to be better.

No longer needed???? Since when? The servers were down just an hour or so ago!

Hawg...Open DNS works also. I really liked Open DNS but when Google came along there was no account needed and I didn't need all the tweaky frills of the Open DNS Dashboard.

I figured no one here would do this if they also had to create an account.

XO
Back to top Go down
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Before my last post I once again had access to RoF site. That's how I knew it was a suggested work around. I've also successfully logged into RoF.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Awde

No.42_Awde

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 7:12 pm

No.42_Flatspin wrote:
What does this do?

good question
Back to top Go down
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 8:34 pm

Read Hawgs post above.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Awde

No.42_Awde

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 pm

duff if i reboot my router will i lose all my settings?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 10:12 am

Mine seems to work fine...gonna leave well enough alone.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 11:02 am

No.42_Awde wrote:
duff if i reboot my router will i lose all my settings?

No, it's a good idea to reboot a router occasionally anyway.

No worries Flatspin...don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. Again, the tweak works and helps but it is NOT earth shattering either. Also mileage may vary as per your Internet Provider, location, yaddy yaddy yaddy!

Duff
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 am

If it works there is no need to change it. Typically your ISP will have a DNS server that will give you the best performance because it closest to you.

I would only do this if you're having a problem. Its not going to speed anything up.

Once you machine queries a DNS server for a host name it will cache it for a period of time or until the machine reboots so its not like its constantly sending out request for ROF.com or what ever.

Back to top Go down
No.42_Duff4r
Admin
No.42_Duff4r

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 11:21 am

No.42_Hawg wrote:
If it works there is no need to change it. Typically your ISP will have a DNS server that will give you the best performance because it closest to you.

I would only do this if you're having a problem. Its not going to speed anything up.

Once you machine queries a DNS server for a host name it will cache it for a period of time or until the machine reboots so its not like its constantly sending out request for ROF.com or what ever.

Agree, the speedup generally comes from the first time you access a site or as said, when cache is cleared on the ISP's DNS server.

Good stuff and good to know! I actually did this on my machine so long ago that I never thought a thing of it. Only this rebuild and the current problems brought it to a head. I learned something here too and may...after a bit more study return mine to default.

S!
Duff
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!   DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It! Empty

Back to top Go down

DNS Change - Fix ROF - Do It!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
42 Squadron :: Game Utilities & Tech Tips-
Jump to: