42 Squadron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of the No.42_Squadron WW I Flight SIM, 'Rise of Flight'

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
*** The No.42_Squadron's Aerodrome ***
Fly with us! Squad nights: Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - 8pm EDT
FiF XXI is in 3rd week. Fly tonight at 8:45pm EST.

Possible Dogfight?

Go down 
+8
No.42_Hawg
semiauto
NavyJake
JG1_Butzzell
No.42_Rooster
No.42_Flatspin
JG1_Klaiber
No.42_Duff4r
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
JG1_Butzzell

Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 9:48 am

S!

Sounds good.

Your server? or ours?

Need to password server.

Either way. The server needs to be started at 8:50 and people can get on. Takeoff when cockpit clock strikes 11. Mission lasts 2 hours.

Do you want to do multiple lives? and put in a 10 minute death timeout on the server. Just to let people stay in and see how things go?

Back to top Go down
No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 am

Let's go with your server this time.

We can do multiple lives for the "rubber hand". It will give folks a chance to see how it goes as you say and is a good way to set the hook IMO.
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:49 am

S!

roger
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:44 am

S! All

Sorry that JG1 had a low turnout. It made the map feel a little big. As is, we had some good encounters. That first one went on for over 5 minutes. It felt very tense.

Aliied Killed 3 German supplies: train, Artty spot, ship.
Germans killed 2 Allied supplies: Ship and Artty spot. We almost had the bridge but not quite.

This brings me back to the reality problem. The rules were originally wrapped around th ewhole fog of war. One flight would not know what was happening to any other flight that was out of sight. Well the missions were designed that way also. That is why there are no subtitles when a target is hit. It would tell other people what was going on and where. With cross channel coms, the lack of subtitles is irelevant. The question is , should I add in Target destroyed and mission succesfull subtitles for the team that is destroying the target? eg: If you destroy a ship, only your team would see the message.

That still keeps info from the enemy.

The place I think it would help the most is arty and recon, so that you know you passed over the right spot and mission is counted.

What do you think?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by JG1_Butzzell on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
No.42_Lexx

No.42_Lexx

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:33 am

S!

Link doesn't work.

When I was attempting the arty spot I had absolutely no idea nor indication I was doing it right. I saw no gun deployment nor damage being done. I am surprised to see we completed it. I just flew over our encampment three times and over the target twice.
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:53 am

S!

Fixed link

When we did it , we were able to see shell landing and buildings on fire. Unless you have done it a few times , it is very hard to tell how things are going.

I think subtitles would help.
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 pm

S!

Couldn't help myself. The JG1 server is running "JG1 Home field" . This is a program we use for practice and training. I added a couple of supply depot/Artty spot missions for both sides. Planes are air start.

I added the subtitles as well just to see how it goes.

There is a vehicle on the airfield at the Allied air start and for the Germans at both Cappy bases. Kill the vehicle and the map will start over so you can keep practicing.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't care one way or the other regarding subtitles, so whatever you guys want is fine by me. There seems to be confusion yet r/t what we were looking for on our recon missions: a single hangar with a vehicle or an entire misplaced aerodrome with a vehicle moving?

Still, it was very fun and tense at times...I can't wait to do it again!
Back to top Go down
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:22 pm

JG1_Butzzell wrote:
The question is , should I add in Target destroyed and mission succesfull subtitles for the team that is destroying the target? eg: If you destroy a ship, only your team would see the message.

That still keeps info from the enemy.

The place I think it would help the most is arty and recon, so that you know you passed over the right spot and mission is counted.

What do you think?

I would say absolutely YES.

Because it's an up or down score and no value for a percentage of the success. Back in RB you knew when a target was down because the whole thing fell when enough damage was done. All you see in RoF is direct damage. So you cant be sure if the game scores it unless you get a subtitle. In real life you knew the more damage you did the harder to rebuild it. And you could weigh that potential against the value of hitting secondaries. This is a points based game and I think its only fair to let a pilot/team know when they have expended enough ordinance/time on an objective. If this were strictly a resource denial based game the subtitles would be irrelevant. A pilot would know visually the full effect on his objective.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Space

No.42_Space

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah, what he said.
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 pm

S!

btw, the arty spot mission can be stopped at any time and picks up where you left off. If you are attacked during the mission you can run away and come back later.

As for subtittles, the things I come up with might not work. Take ships. "Busted Barge", "She's rolling over", "Nothing left but smoke on the water" or bridges "Bricks in the bubly", "No fishing here". I did a diferent phrase for each target. For the recons , I played it straight, "Photos complete" for the observation and "Pictures on the way to HQ" after you land and stop moving. All subtitles last 5 seconds amd are white text. I figure the guy doing the attack might not see the subtitle but someone else on the team surley will and mention it.

Do we need a subtitle contest, where people submit subtittles and then we vote for the ones we like?

Back to top Go down
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:03 pm

"Feed the squirrels"

"All ground speed limits reduced to 10mph to preserve the valuable lives of squirrels"

"Moratorium on squirrel hunting enacted"

Back to top Go down
No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Dork
Back to top Go down
No.42_Rooster

No.42_Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Laughing
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 pm

"Moratorium on squirrel hunting enacted"

is ok

Everyone knows it's wabbit season!
Back to top Go down
Shnoze_Shmon

Shnoze_Shmon

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:42 pm

No.42_Flatspin wrote:
Dork

Humph! Some people just lack tolerance and sensitivity towards the self preservation and self interests of others. Razz
Back to top Go down
NavyJake

NavyJake

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 7:59 am

Be quiet, very quiet, I'm hunting Wabbits....
Back to top Go down
No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 11:41 am

Similar mission tonight? Or just a mash-up on our new Fantasy Island map?
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 am

S!

Thought we would do same as last week. Same misison, now with subtitles.

Sound ok?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Perfect.
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 am

S! All

I have no idea what the hicup was last night.

You guys killed the ship and the recon got messed up. I thought you also did an arty spot?

We completed artyspot, bridge and ship.

Our guys liked the subtitles as positive feedback. They make things run smoother.

btw we are keeping TRIAS. He was top ace with 6 victories. Salute

Is this working out as expected?
Back to top Go down
No.42_Lexx

No.42_Lexx

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:21 am

S!

We did get a message of a successful arty spot a bit before the hicup.
I liked the subtitles.
Back to top Go down
No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 am

I think the hiccup was caused by and partial failure or overloading of the network at the game facility's data center.

The reason I say this is i believe that your game server and ours are being hosted by the same company and at the same time the game server wigged out we had really bad latency to our TS server which is running on the same virtual machine as our RoF server.

Its just one of those things that happens from time to time.

And no you cant have TRIAS !!!!

Back to top Go down
No.42_Space

No.42_Space

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 am

So how do we rectify it if this happens during a match?
Back to top Go down
JG1_Butzzell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Rectumfry?

uhmmm, you mean get him fixed? Let me get a veterinarian. Where did that squirel go?

I have not seen that problem before.

If it happens during a match, I would say it is null, void, cancelled and no cashews.

Because planes are limited and it messes up logs and such, you can not just continue. Since it is a 2 hour mission, restart is not really an option.

other thaughts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Dogfight?   Possible Dogfight? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible Dogfight?
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
42 Squadron :: General Discussion-
Jump to: